Girdwood Trails Committee
Minutes of Regular Meeting
7 pm, Old Library Building
Tuesday, May 3, 2005
The meeting was called to order at 7:08 pm by Chair Dario Martinez. Diana Livingston acted as Secretary for the meeting.
Present were Dario Martinez, Kate Sandberg, Norman Starkey, Carolyn Brodin, Chad Frank, Matthew Wedeking and Diana Livingston.
The minutes of the April 5, 2005 meeting were approved as corrected.
1. Nissman Memorial Update: SBS submitted a bid of $24,000. Lowes and Home Depot are expected to provide bids soon. Lowes and Home Depot have a cost reduction program for nonprofit organizations and this will be pursued. Discussion followed regarding materials to be used; we need to use treated wood. The group will be seeking a General Contractor with appropriate licensing. The check was received from the Nissman family in the amount of $16,000.
2. Winter Grooming Report: Nothing to report.
3. Status of Grooming Equipment: The grooming equipment has been stored for the season.
4. Trails Issues:
a. Athabaskan Trail Update: The gravel has been moved to the work site.
b. Norman Starkey, Chris Robers, Sean Toohey and Dario’s associate Ben worked on tram cable repairs with assistance from bystanders. The old cable will be heli-lifted back on Wednesday May 4th. The Trails Committee thanks Keith Fedorowicz of Alpine Air and all others who helped. A parking area has been designated for tram users.
c. The SAGA work crews have been tentatively schedule for two weeks in August. The Trails Committee will review a list of projects at the June meeting. Cost for the trail crew is $1000 per day for fourteen days plus $3000 for materials, total of $17,000. We will have a crew of experienced workers. Committee members suggest that one of the projects be to repair the two bridges below the church building site at the hotel parking lot.
d. Several operators have applied for permits to take guided hikes in Girdwood this summer.
e. The church construction at the Alyeska hotel parking lot has made the nearby trail muddy. Chad Frank will contact the general contractor on this project to seek a solution.
f. Matt Wedeking reported that the flooding on the Seward Highway bike path has been cured.
5. Beaver Pond Trail Report: Matt Wedeking reports that there is nothing new on this project since the flagging. The SAGA trail crew could blaze the trail and digging would be next. Part of the trail is on HLB land and the committee is wondering whether HLB has any money to help with the project. We could use about $25,000. The Seward Highway bike path is closed from Bird Point to Indian for construction. The Bird to Gird bike rally is July 30. The Bird Creek campground is currently being privately operated.
6. Submittal to Turnagain Times and Insert for Friends of Girdwood Trails and Parks: Chad Frank distributed a draft for review and comments.
7. Report of Crow Creek Road Neighborhood Citizens Advisory Group: There is a meeting of the group scheduled for Wednesday May 4th at 7 pm at the Alyeska Day Lodge.
8. Trails Maps for Girdwood (Winter and Summer): Kate Sandberg has written hike descriptions to be included on the maps. The group reviewed and commented. Norman Starkey provided maps for review. The group discussed the maps and trails designated and made comments. Kate will make further wording changes and send out the final copy. Norman will work with Bill Spencer to create the map. Anticipated to have the map with descriptions ready for distribution by middle of June.
9. Further Trails Funding: Nothing new to report. Charnon and Rein not present.
10. Old Trails Committee Records: Nothing new to report. Chad Frank still needs help going through the files.
There being no further business to come before the Girdwood Trails Committee, at 9:15 pm a motion to adjourn was duly made and seconded, and unanimously approved by those present.
NOTE: The Tuesday, June 7, 2005 meeting will be held in the Parks & Recreation Office, the Old Library Building, 7 pm.