Girdwood Trails Committee

Minutes of Regular Meeting

7 pm, Glacier City Hall

Tuesday, March 1, 2005


The meeting was called to order at 7:10 pm by Vice Chair Norman Starkey.  Diana Livingston acted as Secretary for the meeting.

Present were Kate Sandberg, Norman Starkey, Carolyn Brodin, Chad Frank, Marcus Tingle, Carl Skustad, Matthew Wedeking, Alison Rein, Tom Yeager and Diana Livingston.

Carolyn Brodin reported that the January 4, 2005 meeting minutes were approved at the February 1, 2005 meeting.  With that correction, the minutes of the February 1, 2005 meeting were approved as presented. 

Old Business

 

1.     Nissman Memorial Update: Chad Frank, Carl Skustad and Alison Rein will prepare a package to use for bids.  Dave Sears has volunteered to act as general contractor.  The group will determine how much money will need to be solicited in a fundraising campaign in order to complete the project. There may be some money available in the Girdwood Parks & Rec budget.  Contributions and discounts will be sought.  The group will determine whether any permits are required.

2.     Winter Grooming Report: Mark Jonas was not able to be at the meeting but presented a written report.  “Conditions have improved a bit since last month.  The grooming has been done anywhere from one to three times a week depending on conditions.  The upper valley is holding up better than Moose Meadow.  All the equipment is holding up fine for now.  I have not talked with Chad Frank lately about the timeline for the new snow machine.  The plan is to keep grooming until the end of March at least if the snow stays.”

3.     Status of Grooming Equipment: Chad Frank reported that it will be a while before the snow machine can be acquired.

4.     Trails Issues:

a.      Athabaskan Trail Update:  Alison Rein reported that a small amount of maintenance and replacement of one sign will be done in the spring.

b.     Four Corners Hand Tram Update: The Hand Tram is locked pending repairs.

c.      Chad Frank reported on the SAGA summer program.  They need to know by March if we will use them.  With the matching grant there could be $17,000 available which is two to three weeks’ trail work.  Trails Committee needs to decide what work will be done.  Chad and Alison will work on the grant and outline the work to be done.  They will send around a list of possible work to be done.

 

5.     Beaver Pond Trail Report: Matt Wedeking will lead a volunteer crew to flag the Beaver Pond Trail extension to the Seward Highway Bike Path.  Volunteers are to meet at the DOT maintenance yard at 10 am on Saturday, March 5.  The group will flag to the Beaver Pond on the mountain side.  It is possible we might obtain  funds from the 2005 FY Appropriation to complete the Beaver Pond Trail.

6.     Request to AK DOT/PF for mitigation funds due to Crow Creek Road project displacement of users:  AK DOT responded to this request in the negative.  Alison Rein reported that she met with Kevin Keeler.  Changes to the Crow Creek Road Trail Crossings have been made per the Trails Committee recommendations.  The parking lot by California Creek is shown on the opposite side of the road and the Trails Committee suggests the parking be on the same side of the road as the trail head to avoid unnecessary road crossings by users.

7.     Submittal to Turnagain Times and Insert for Friends of Girdwood Trails and Parks: Chad Frank is working on this project.

8.     Report of Crow Creek Road Neighborhood Citizens Advisory Group and Trails Map: Alison Rein reported on the Citizens Advisory Group.  The Second Public Meeting on the Crow Creek Neighborhood Plan is scheduled for March 15, 2005, 6:30 pm at the Alyeska Day Lodge.  Rein reported on the trails map for the Crow Creek development.

9.     Further opportunities for trails funding: Tim Charnon was not at the meeting.  Alison Rein is following up on the process for applying to the State for funds from the FY 2005 Appropriation.

10.  Trails Maps for Girdwood (Winter and Summer): Norman Starkey is working on the maps.  He will get the trails maps from Bill Spencer.  Alison Rein is helping with this.

11.  Old Trails Committee records: Chad Frank has these records and file cabinets.  He needs help reviewing these records.

 

New Business:

1.               Future Projects: Discussion was held regarding purchase of the new snow machine.  Chad Frank moved and Norman Starkey seconded a motion to continue leasing the snow machine for this year and release the funds held for the snow machine to be used for the Nissman Memorial and trails work.  Motion passed unanimously, no abstentions.

 

Tom Yeager stated that the tram cable could be replaced in two hours if the rope could be transported to the site by helicopter.  The rope could also be transported to the site by sled and snow machine but this would be more difficult.  The objective is to use the hand tram year round.

 

Other Business: No Other Business at this time.

 

There being no further business to come before the Girdwood Trails Committee, at 8:10 pm a motion to adjourn was duly made and seconded, and unanimously approved by those present. 

Respectfully submitted,

Diana Stone Livingston

 

NOTE:  The April 5, 2005 meeting will be held in the Parks & Recreation Office, the Old Library Building, 7 pm.