Girdwood Trails Committee

Minutes of Regular Meeting

7 pm, Glacier City Hall

Tuesday, January 4, 2005


The meeting was called to order at 7:08 pm by Chair Dario Martinez.  Present were Dario Martinez, Carolyn Brodin, Norman Starkey, Bill Spencer, Carl Skustad, Tim Charnon, Marcus Tingle, Alison Rein and Diana Livingston.  Livingston acted as Secretary for the meeting.

Martinez distributed the agenda as posted and minutes of the December 7, 2004 meeting.  Following motion duly made and seconded, the minutes of December 7, 2004 were unanimously approved as corrected.  The minutes of the September 7, 2004 meeting were reviewed and discussed.  Upon motion duly made and seconded, the minutes of September 7, 2004 were unanimously approved as presented.

Bill Spencer of HDR Consultants was present at the meeting to discuss design of trails for the Crow Creek Road Neighborhood.  Upon motion duly made and seconded, those present unanimously agreed to have Spencer’s presentation before proceeding to other business.

There followed a discussion of current and desired trails in the proposed Crow Creek Neighborhood and other locations in Girdwood Valley.  Mr. Spencer’s contact information is Phone: 644-2000 at work and email bill.spencer@hdrinc.com.

Alison Rein announced that representatives of AK DOT/PF would be at the February, 2005 meeting to discuss the letter to be written jointly by GBOS and USFS to request mitigation from DOT for displacement of pedestrian use of Crow Creek Road by the Crow Creek Road improvements.

Discussion then returned to the published agenda.

Old Business

 

1.     Nissman Memorial: Tim Charnon, USFS stated that site specific design and site selection would soon be available.  The Girdwood Board of Supervisors is hereby requested to send a letter to the Parks & Recreation Department, MOA, seeking approval of construction of the Nissman Memorial Pavilion in the Forest Fair Park area, adjacent to the campground and Marlowe Pavilion.

 

2.     Winter Grooming:  Mark Jonas was not present but others commented that the Lost Meadow trail would need to be relocated.  All other trail grooming is fine and the trails were used extensively over the holidays.  Thanks to all the volunteer groomers.

 

 

3.     Status of Grooming Equipment: There was no report on grooming equipment.  Chad Frank will be at the next Trails Committee meeting to provide a report.

It was reported that Chad Frank has all the old Trails Committee files.

 

4.     Trails Issues:

a.      Alison Rein reported that she has discussed with Judy Onslow the proposed maintenance for the Athabaskan Trail.  Onslow does not want to spend all the available money on current maintenance.  Access to the bridge needs repair, and the back portion of the trail needs more gravel.  Also, one of the signs needs to be reprinted and rehung.  Rein estimates the cost of these repairs to be about $2000.

b.     Skustad reported that the Four Corners hand tram is currently inoperable and needs some maintenance.  Skustad will contact Dave Wilson of Alyeska Resort to schedule maintenance.

 

5.     Beaver Pond Trail Report: There was no report from the Kirschers. 

 

Rein will follow up regarding marking the Beaver Pond extension to the Seward Highway Bike Path.

 

6.     Discussion followed regarding the Trails Survey, and the group decided to postpone the survey until April.

 

7.     Norman Starkey reported on his findings regarding maps to be used for Girdwood Trails maps.  He had some examples and will work further on the matter.  He is looking for an appropriate map to be used for winter trails and one to be used for summer trails.

 

New Business:

Tim Charnon reported there is an opportunity to apply for trails funding.  The trails need to be on federal lands or have strong ties to federal lands, such as the Virgin Creek Trail, transporting gravel from Zug’s slide to the “T”, the Iditarod Trail, mountain bike use on the Winner Creek Trail, and work on the Wagon Road Trail.  Charnon will find more information on this funding and report at the February meeting.

 

Other Business:

 

1.               Chad Frank is drafting a report that may be used as the basis for an article about Trails activities for the “Turnagain Times”.

There being no further business to come before the Girdwood Trails Committee, a motion to adjourn was duly made and seconded, and unanimously approved by those present.  Meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Diana Stone Livingston

Secretary